Store bought mayonnaise is loaded with unhealthy oils such as canola or soybean oils. These oils are GMO derived and also nutritionally inferior. I’ve already written about why vegetable oils are not good for you. And I’ve searched high and low for a 100% organic olive oil mayonnaise without any luck. And even if you find one with olive oil, it is most likely made with “light tasting” olive oil which is usually mixed with lower quality oils. Using 100% extra virgin olive oil sounds like a great alternative but you will compromise on taste as your mayo will taste “heavy” like olive oil. So what’s one to do? Make your own! This recipe takes me only 5 minutes to complete and the mayo tastes better than any store bought variety. I have a little video tutorial so you can see how easy it is to make 🙂
What you will need:
- 1 whole organic, cage free, omega 3 egg (pasteurized at home ~ directions below)
- 1/4 tsp mustard (any variety will do)
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 3/4 cup avocado oil (any light tasting oil will work but remember what healthy oils to use. Another option would be to use extra virgin olive oil but your mayo will taste like that so I’ve found avocado oil to be the best choice)
I use a 16 oz mason jar to make and store the mayo. No extra dishes to wash!
I also pasteurize the egg because I am paranoid about Salmonella poisoning plus it’s simple to do. Place the egg in a pot with water and heat the water to about 140-145 degrees and keep the egg in the water for about 3 minutes. This is enough to kill the germs but won’t cook your egg. Let the egg cool down for about 10 minutes before using in this recipe. I cook multiple eggs at once and put the other eggs either back in the fridge to make mayo in the future or I use them right away for another recipe like egg salad.
- Place all ingredients in the order listed in a 16 oz jar
- You will need an immersion blender for best results. Use the immersion blender, starting at the bottom of the jar, and blend. Make sure to not move the blender until you start seeing emulsification. Then slowly move the blender up and down until all the oil is emulsified. There’s a video below to show you how quickly emulsification takes place.
There is no need to slowly add in the oil while vigorously mixing for the emulsification process to happen. The immersion blender mimics this action because it slowly adds in the oil while blending. It’s like magic! It’s that easy. I promise you that you will love it!
Thanks for reading 🙂